Tuesday, July 05, 2005

 

Serendipity

So most of you might have noticed that I give Mel a hard time every now and then for baring a slight resemblance to a certain young movie/recording/crap star Hillary Duff. I was willing to leave it at the Strange Resemblance and move on, maybe allude to it in private conversation every now and then when said hack-of-a-star shows up on TV.

Fate would have it this way.

Not more than twenty-four hours after taking heat for that last post of remarkable resemblance my cousin and roommate up here lets me in on a strange bit of information that changed my perspective of serendipity for ever. First, let me bring you a bit up to speed as to where I am right now.





Here's where I am right now. On an island in Central Ontario on the beautiful Stony Lake (yes, Stony is spelt right, damn-it!). Primarily catering to summer cottage-goers - a truly Canadian pastime - Stony Lake is a quiet waterside community of rich middle agers that, of course, has to be serviced by a series of resorts and restaurants which are fuelled by an army of young labourers such as myself. I boat to work every day, it's great.
For the people that work up here the gossip and excitement is usually limited to who's having the next big party, who's sleeping with who and the likes, but once in a blue moon the outside world drops in to say g'day. Ronnie Hawkins (of the Hawks fame) has retired up here for instance, and a few years ago the Red Hot Chilli Peppers did one of those "Out of the Blue" concerts on the lake. Pretty cool, but these tend to just be minor diversions from work and suntanning out here in the wilderness.




So this brings me back to me cousin telling me what the big excitement was going to be on the lake this summer. Apparently, the sequel to the more than forgettable "Cheaper by the Dozen" was to be filmed up here. My first response was pretty much "who cares," maybe we'd get a glimpse of a B-rate star at the local watering hole. Then he started to list off the names of stars that would be gracing us with their presence for the month of July. Steve Martin, cool, he plays banjo; Carmen Electra, sweet; Eugene Levy, yeah, I watched SCTV; and you guessed it, none other than Hillary Duff.
This was just strange. I think that something was just trying to show me, once and for all, whether it really was a strange resemblance between those two.

So I'll try to make a rather boring story short here. Sure enough, all the L.A. people have taken over our lake, for the better or worse. The only thing you can really talk to the employees of the big resort where the cast is staying about is how they served ice cream or went water skiing with one of the kids in the movie. Yay. I was regaled with the tale of how Steve Martin didn't complain about his less-than-par food yesterday and I almost walked away. My cousin, who also works at the resort and taking the cue of the whole Duff situation, decided to seek her out. He being a photographer didn't hurt at all, either. Since I don't work there, my access is a tad limited.
Access to Hillary Duff on Stony lake, even for a picture: impossible. She doesn't go anywhere without two giant body guards. The only people they let even remotely near are sixteen-year-old girls squealing for an autograph. Since I don't exactly fit into this category, I've just about given up hope (at a loss for another word). This didn't stop my cousin though, who hid in a boathouse and snapped pictures of her with a telephoto lens while she was seadooing. He phoned the National Enquirer saying he had pictures of her in a bikini.

They called back today. I shit you not.

So for the time being I just have to be happy with the novelty/coincidence that Miss Duff is on the same lake. What the hell would I even say to her, anyway?
"Uh, you look like this chick I know..."
Probably wouldn't fly too far.
How about "Hey! Can I have a picture? Sweet! Fan? no. Actually, I think you're destroying the music industry from the inside out by candy-coating horse shit. That's Tyler with a 'Y'."

Who knows, they're still up here for a few weeks.



<< Home
_______
Welcome to Delta f
____________________


My Photo
Name:
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Delata f is the original open-sourced Anti-Frat. Dedicated to sticking it to the man; respect for every one; changing this crazy urban world we call home in a way that makes it more awesome, and of course, we party a lot, too. Located at 194 Bridge Ave. In Windsor Ontario. Be the first and coolest kid on your block to join an Anti-Frat!! See you at the Bar!!

Facebook me!

Make money With Google!



!!New!!
Delta f Video
  • St. Patrick's Day 2006
  • Candice's Double Motorboat
  • JM's Final Soliloquy


  • Posts of Note
  • A little more about Delta f
  • Delta f St. Patrick's Day Extraviganza


  • The Elk Incident


  • RockBottom and me falling off a Couch
  • The Loop: A Windsor Institution
  • Last night 2004
  • A night in the life


  • _____

    AntiFrats in the Delta f network
  • Chronic the Hedgehog and DGF
  • The Organization of the Pink Ninja


  • _____


    Delta f Listens to
  • One Man's Opinion


  • _____
    archives
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • March 2006
  • April 2006

  • _____


    Pease Use This Google Search!
    Google
    Links